Tuesday, April 27, 2010

LinkeIn

I don’t know about you, but I’ve really enjoyed the group and individual presentations we’ve heard. William’s presentation on LinkedIn was especially meaningful, being a neophyte at social networking technology. I registered with LinkedIn about a year ago. I'm still learning how to fully utilize this technology. A number of colleagues and friends urged me to do so in order to expand my social network and to stay connected. Over the past several months, I’ve had invites from people I know or who have met at meetings (e.g., TAG). Just the other day, I received an invitation from Matt Brown in our class. Sorry I didn't respond sooner Matt!

For the most part, I’ve accepted the invitations that have been emailed to me. Much of my business is driven through referral or word-of-mouth. So anything I can do to expand my business presence is a plus – even people I have not had direct contact with or who may be associated with another colleague several layers down. Leveraging these associations could be a real advantage at identifying key decision makers, learning more about an organization, and knowing what crucial conversations I need to have.

LinkedIn has also helped me connect with former colleagues I have not spoken with in years. It’s interesting to see what they’re doing, the people their connected with, and how our paths might someday cross. What’s more it’s easy to set up (even for me!) and free! I hope to take full advantage of LinkedIn and make it more an integral part of my business. Thanks for the great presentation and the information you shared with us William!

No comments:

Post a Comment